What does it come to your mind when you think about Kenya? Most likely safaris and wildlife, but this country has so much more to offer, from snake’s farms, hiking mountains, meeting wonderful islands to diving the Indian ocean are some other activities that you can do.
Ready for planning the next trip? Kenya, as most of the East African countries, requires a visa to allow foreign visitors the entrance to the country. If you are thinking about visiting Kenya and need some help with the visa process, here’s a guide for you to know everything about it and how to get it.
How do I know if I need a Kenya travel visa?
There are 43 countries that don’t need to apply for a visa and can stay in the country up to 90 days (most countries in the Caribbean, Africa, and Asia). Some of the countries are Mauritius, Dominica, Bahamas, South Africa, Jamaica, Maldives, Singapore, etc. US, Canada, and UK do need a visa to enter the country.
Which documents do I need to apply for a Kenya travel visa?
- Passport valid for at least 6 months from the date of arrival to Kenya, it needs to have a least 2 blank pages.
- Onward flight ticket.
- Hotel booking or travel itinerary.
- Proof of funds.
- If the visa is for business you have to provide an invitation letter from the hosting company.
What are the different types of Kenya travel visa?
- Visa through the Kenya embassy in your country: This type of visa cost $200 and has a duration of 5 years. You have to go to your local Kenya embassy to apply for it.
- Visa on arrival: You only need to fill the online application form and you will get the visa stamped when you arrive to the airport in Kenya.
- Kenya eVisa: Exists since 2015. It is the most commonly used, you can do all the process online and once you are approved, you get it sent to your email and print it to show it to the officials.
- East Africa tourist visa: If you are thinking about also visiting Uganda and Rwanda, you can apply for this visa, which allows you multiple entries in a lapse of 90 days in the 3 countries. The cost of this visa is $100 and citizens of any country can apply to it.
- Transit visa: To anyone connecting through Kenya to other destinations, it allows you to stay 72 hours in the country. The fee is $20.
- Diplomatic visa: To anyone holding a diplomatic passport.
- Courtesy visa: To anyone holding an official passport or service passport, or anyone that is desirable in terms of international courtesy.
What is the process to get the eVisa to Kenya?
- Fill in the application form and declare what is the purpose of your visit (business, tourism, etc).
- Determine if you want a single or multiple-entry visa, for how many days you want to stay and make the online payment (the cost can go to 99EUR). You can pay with a debit or credit card, and also with Paypal.
- You can get the visa within 3 business days. If you need to get it faster you can pay an additional 99EUR fee if you want it in 24 business hours.
- Wait to get the visa approval sent to your email, print it and, ¡you are ready to go!